Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week 5: Time, Perspective, and Repetition

I'm still working on overcoming my Perspective issues.  However on the way I've discovered a few things about the story.  I realize now that the sketching and layout portion of the story needs a good bit of time to be completed and effective.

This is the third time I've discovered more effective ways of telling the story.  There is one page where I added a superfluous panel and one page where I was ready to add a complex and dramatic element that is completely uneeded and stylistically off base with the rest of the story.  If I had rushed through on these, I would have ended up with weak pages on both accounts.  Food for thought on that one.  However by the same token, I could waste a million years rethinking all my work and never get anything accomplished.  So it's a balancing act.

Here are some scans of the perspective studies for page one. First a small sketch and then the page rough.  Although not quite as complete as I would like.  Perspective and I still aren't really on speaking terms.  It's never really been my strong suit and it is a very necessary component to comics art...so I'm working on it.  I want it to be perfect, but that is kind of impossible as I am learning the process.  So I am kind of pushing against myself here.  I know that it will work itself out over time.  It is just a matter of putting my nose to the grindstone with it.  This is one of those things that only expereince will speed up the process.  Repetition, mmmmm, my favorite. 

No comments: